Sign in to follow this  
shiron222

Anxiety: Understanding and Removal

shiron222    106

Anxiety: Understanding and Removal

I was talking with someone earlier about their troubles with trancing. They had tried everything and gotten an absurd amount of good advice, but nothing worked. They were getting scared and depressed, and didn't understand why nothing was working. They mentioned they had never had anxiety before, and as such didn't know what they were feeling. There was another person, whose name shall not be mentioned due to personal privacy, who had this same issue. They were two people, each with a similar problem...once this other person managed their anxiety they started progressing. I realized...there might be more of us out there who want this to work so badly that we get anxious when it doesn't. I want to write this guide in hopes that I can help those who don't know what they're feeling. I only know one basic exercise, so if others want to chime in I can add them to a list as well.

I don't know the scientific reason behind anxiety, but I do know that in all situations it can be paralyzing. I've felt it, and I have family that's spent years with it as a constant and horrifying companion. If you feel a shaking in your body and your heart is racing, if you feel a sort of fear that has no defined source, that is anxiety. It can stop all progress in mental exercises, sow doubt and fear, and above all makes life a living hell for all those who experience it. In some cases basic exercises don't work or are only temporary. Some cases require a doctor's intervention. I am neither a doctor nor experienced. I'm only now learning to control my own anxiety when I go in public. That said, I feel I can still bring up the topic for others who are more experienced to add their two cents.

The one exercise I do know involves deep and slow breathing. The first step is to breathe from your lower lung. In order to calm your breathing and prevent hyperventilation you need to breathe deeply and fill your entire lung. The rhythm you should try is as follows:

1. Inhale deeply from the diaphragm for 5 seconds, filling your lungs completely

2. Hold that breath for 3 seconds

3. Exhale for 7 seconds, until all the air is gone

4. Wait 3 seconds

5. Repeat until the anxiety is gone.

While doing this, try and change the direction of your thoughts. Think about anything but your anxiety and fear. When your anxiety calms, continue with your daily life.

Any input is appreciated as well as your own ways of handling anxiety should you have any.

Remember to GANBATTE NE and DFTBA!

• Like 1

Jade    0

"Think about anything but your anxiety and fear."

Just wanted to elaborate on a technique that will help you do that. It's a trick from vipassana mindfulness. Anxious thoughts will pop up, and sometimes, they'll distract you for a period of time. It's ok if that happens. When it happens, just acknowledge the anxiety, dismiss, and get back to focusing on your breathes. You can literally say, "hi anxiety, I see you. Now I'm going to focus on my breathing again, bye :)" 

Doing this with every distracting thought will help you clear your mind and become more aware of all your thoughts and distractions. In other words, you become mindful, and it's a great way to improve your anxiety management skills long-term :3

• Like 1

Jade    0

You're correct! Vipassana mindfulness meditation is all about generating an awareness of your body and mind by recognizing and acknowledging every physical and mental experience you have. 

Peppermint    3

An interesting thing I've noticed is that practicing self-hypnosis files over and over also seem to make the anxiety gradually fade away with each progressive session, at least for me.