Luna

Reading Suggestions ( Books )

Luna    44

So I wanted to create a thread on book/Fan Fiction suggestions.

Currently I am reading through the entire novel of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, I can say it is most definitely charming and such a wonderful wit to it with great re-read value.

Secondly, Friendship is Optimal , This fan-fiction was suggested to me by an old friend I had known , 'Twas the fan-fiction that resparked my love for reading.

Does anypony have any reading suggestions? Share your favourite book/Fan-Fiction here so others may experience it.

• Haha 1

Celestia    19

I don't tend to read a lot of fiction. But any of Jon Ronson's books are a great read. The Men Who Stare At Ghosts and The Psychopath Test especially are two of my favorites. 

• Like 1

Sable    40

What is read these days is pretty dry stuff... engineering binders and newspapers. I was always more of a musical pony.  Maybe I should find/get in touch again with my inner bookworm.

I can easily recommend the book "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley, it's damn near impenetrable at times but if you put the time in it's a really good read that still holds a lot of truth today. Plus it's much better than any film adaptation, which focuses on the wrong aspects of the book for the most part.

Aside from that, "The Andromeda Strain" by Michael Crichton is also very good, he has a knack for weaving science and fiction together into a dance that's almost believable, but still incredibly exciting and tense.

If you like political intrigue and USSR VS USA type stories, the "Jack Ryan" series is pretty good. It can be very dry at parts though, and there's a *lot* of books. Only some of them are USSR vs USA. There's one involving the IRA at some points and ebola outbreaks in an entirely hypothetical method, but I won't spoil it.

The Inheritence series is very good. Being that the series is done and over with, I can definitely say it's worth a read if you like things like Lord Of The Rings.

One series I've never had anyone recommend to me, or really heard mentioned: The Inkheart Trilogy. It's a *very* interesting story. It focuses around an ability to read characters right out of their storybooks. And the main characters father is a bookbinder, so he earns a little more respect from me for fixing so many dying books.

I'm having a hard time remembering too many other books that people might not have heard about. My favorite reads are generally along the lines of sci-fi, dystopian futures, and medieval fantasy.

A good fiction book which I enjoyed would be "Ready Player One", I would suggest anypony who enjoys video games or is interested to look it up and look into it.

• Haha 1

I have to suggest The Runelords: Sum of all Men it falls on the fairly standard framework for epic fantasy novels. Namely two armies clashing as a great evil slowly awakens but it covers things like logistics in the medieval world and has a thoughtfulness about the setting that I have not seen since Tolkien and the hard cover slip is just beautiful.

• Like 1

oh the shanarra series is pretty good, the count of monte cristo is worth a read, and I am currently reading the green rider series and loving it.

71~073~    4

Uh uh... i have so many books and fanfictions i wanna suggest... they're mostly fantasy tho

Let's start at the beginning: The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss. 2 out of 3 book out and some of the best books around.

For some lighter stuff I'd suggest the Lightbringer trilogy by Brent Weeks, good books I've really enjoyed.

The online book "A Practical guide to evil" ranks highly among good stories as well, and its free to read immediately.

The entire Percy Jackson series and practically everything by Rick Riordan i have found to be enjoyable, mostly light-hearted reads.

Now to not rant too much, tell me if someone wants more book recommendations, or perhaps some pony fanfictions, as there's many really good ones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Palaxin    6

Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles, Magnus Chase, Hero of Olympus, Trials of Apollo. By Rick Riodarn

The Paladin Prophecy, by Mark Frost.

Septimus Heap Series. By Angie Sage

Sunbeam    30

Most of R. A. Salvatore's works are really good if you like typical fantasy settings (it's very D&D-ish)
Battle Royale (Koushun Takami) was a really great read.
Always a fan of the Redwall series by Brian Jacques.

Well if we are suggesting Web Novels then I must suggest a superhero piece by the name of Worm gets a tad excessive in the later stages but is a wonderful character piece that tracks a teenagers path down the slippery slope as she establishes herself in a world full of superhumans wonderful world building and wonderful characters.

Magnifica    3

Is there a limit to what can be recommended? Because I may have a...uh...lot.

I do a lot of reading.

• Like 1

shiron222    106
23 hours ago, Celestia said:

I don't tend to read a lot of fiction. But any of Jon Ronson's books are a great read. The Men Who Stare At Ghosts and The Psychopath Test especially are two of my favorites. 

You mean Ron Jonson? I've seen his TED talks and listened to the episode of This American Life but never read his books. I'll have to check them out.

Here's a few of my own: Diane Duane's "Young Wizard Series", "Will Save the Galaxy for Food" and "Mogworld" by Yahtzee Croshaw, anything by Anne Mccaffrey, H. Beam Piper's Fuzzy trilogy, Fantasia Mathematica, and "Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality"

Also question made out of idle curiosity: Anypony read Thoreau's Walden? Was wondering about your thoughts on it.

I'm looking for good fanfic recommendations. I've read most of the more famous ones, and was hoping I could find some good hidden gems (HiE is preferred).

Luna    44

I love TED talks~

On the topic of a good fan fiction, The Heir of Nightmare is a wonderful story and is very close to my heart. I sadly do not have a link for it at this time but Ron Jonson is definitely a author to look into.

Also , Harry Potter is such a wonderful series.. I enjoy how the reading curve as the books were coming out as a child scaled with the reader and was not simply just a little Filly's book , But a book that grew with the reader. From the Philosophers Stone to the Deathly Hollows they are all wonderful reads.

• Like 1

shiron222    106

Thanks for the advice! I'll look into The Heir of Nightmare. As for the Harry Potter title I mentioned it's an interesting "What If" fanfic about the difference that Harry being born into a loving and kind family who taught him to think like a Scientist/Philosopher makes. Basically he wants to use the scientific method to understand magic...which seems kind of a fruitless endeavor with how utterly weird that world's magical laws are...

Edited by shiron222