Sweetzilii Belle

Favorite/Recommended FanFics!

Somewhat inspired by @shiron222's post, I thought I'd widen the subject. Let's use this thread as a place to post/talk about our favorite or recommended FanFics from the fandom.

To start off, I'll list my two top favorites.

The first fic I ever read, was the "All Good Things" series, by Wheller. It's fairly long with many fics combining into one whole story. It starts off with "The kindness of Strangers". It's essentially, the journey of Twilight Sparkle and friends, in a world beyond Equestria. Where they meet many more races, and find out that the world isn't truly Sunshine and Rainbows. If you're into any form of grimdark, this one holds a very decent storyline. Though the later parts of the story carry a deeply depressing tone, so if you aren't into that, then this isn't the story for you.  (beware the blood red eyes)

Now, my second favorite fic, is Five Score, Divided by Four, by TwistedSpectrum. This story is about a human who suddenly finds a cutie mark on their leg, and finds their hair to begin changing, you should begin to see where this is going. It's also a decently long fic (at over 285K words!). I love the way TwistedSpectrum portrayed the characters in this fic, I can't really say much about it without diving deep into spoiler territory so you really just have to go and read it yourself. I will say that this story definitely carries a lot of laughs, while also building characters in a semi slice-of-life / adventure combo.

Now then! Post your favorite/recommended fics!

Edited by Kazilii
  • Like 1

Tavia Melody    70

Well, I would, but they're not exactly sfw...

platinum    31

Keeping it simple with a name and a description.

Hard Reset: groundhog day time loop+changeling invasion+EoH time bomb.

Princess AJ: 4chan thread that has been writing one long group fanfic that has been up and running racking up 207 threads of content since January 2014 (I even wrote a small part of it). Basically AJ becomes a Princess around Rainbow Falls and the timeline diverts. While most of it doesn't revolve around AJ, she is tangentially responsible for everything that happens. The one negative is the arguments over Applejack's plot armor/development and the treatment of Chrysalis. 

Friendship is Optimal: Apocalypse of humanity through friendship and ponies story that somehow gets darker when you think about how "uploading your conciseness" works.

Pony Pov series: base description,  alternate timeline where Return of Harmony part 2 left some mental scaring and the ponies must deal with it as more threats keep coming.

Spoiler

Or everypony has a psychotic break of some kind and one by one the Mane 6 become Alicorns. who are one half a deity duality with draconeqi? draconequuses? Discord.

Lost Time: Twilight and Rarity accidentally go to the future where the sun is gone and eternal winter and night persist.

5 minutes ago, Starlight Glimmer <Trixie> said:

5score in its original format is a pony tf story in which the characters have sex with others in some form or solo in 5 of the first 9 chapters. The Dash of that story is in heat. This is a story in the op. Although I think they are referencing the reworked for fimfic version

9 minutes ago, platinum said:

Hard Reset: groundhog day time loop+changeling invasion+EoH time bomb

Oh hey, that reminds me to include "A Little Loopy" probably my all time favorite timeloop fic.

9 minutes ago, platinum said:

5score in its original format is a pony tf story in which the characters have sex with others in some form or solo in 5 of the first 9 chapters. The Dash of that story is in heat. This is a story in the op. Although I think they are referencing the reworked for fimfic version

I was at least linking to the sfw edition, though both were written at the same time as eachother, so I wouldn't really say either are a reworked version. But yes, there is an NSFW version of 5score, it's not the one I linked though :b

And "All Good Things" could be considered nsfw as well, but that's less about sexual content.

Edited by Kazilii

platinum    31
13 minutes ago, Kazilii said:

Oh hey, that reminds me to include "A Little Loopy" probably my all time favorite timeloop fic.

literal first comment on fimfic

"Reader! Choose your comparison story:
Groundhog Day, Edge of Tommorrow, Hard Reset. "

but yeah it is the same type of thing, lots of game overs for the man character as they trial and error their way through.

13 minutes ago, Kazilii said:

I was at least linking to the sfw edition, though both were written at the same time as eachother, so I wouldn't really say either are a reworked version. But yes, there is an NSFW version of 5score, it's not the one I linked though :b

As someone who was present for TwistedSpectrum posting it in ptfg I can confirm that the nsfw version was first. The sfw verson was because they couldn't post the original at the time on fimfic. which is why the mature version was posted 5 months after the sfw version. It is splitting hairs though as chapter 5 onward you are correct.

Edited by platinum

shiron222    106
21 hours ago, Kazilii said:

Somewhat inspired by @shiron222's post, I thought I'd widen the subject. Let's use this thread as a place to post/talk about our favorite or recommended FanFics from the fandom.

To start off, I'll list my two top favorites.

The first fic I ever read, was the "All Good Things" series, by Wheller. It's fairly long with many fics combining into one whole story. It starts off with "The kindness of Strangers". It's essentially, the journey of Twilight Sparkle and friends, in a world beyond Equestria. Where they meet many more races, and find out that the world isn't truly Sunshine and Rainbows. If you're into any form of grimdark, this one holds a very decent storyline. Though the later parts of the story carry a deeply depressing tone, so if you aren't into that, then this isn't the story for you.  (beware the blood red eyes)

Now, my second favorite fic, is Five Score, Divided by Four, by TwistedSpectrum. This story is about a human who suddenly finds a cutie mark on their leg, and finds their hair to begin changing, you should begin to see where this is going. It's also a decently long fic (at over 285K words!). I love the way TwistedSpectrum portrayed the characters in this fic, I can't really say much about it without diving deep into spoiler territory so you really just have to go and read it yourself. I will say that this story definitely carries a lot of laughs, while also building characters in a semi slice-of-life / adventure combo.

Now then! Post your favorite/recommended fics!

Five Score was my first, actually. It is 11/10 one of the better ones. The important question is "Vanilla" or "Clop" version? Also in regards to "Human becomes Pony" Project:Sunflower is amazing! It's a Sci-Fi story (not normally my cup of tea, admittedly) where the world is being consumed in a Grey Goo event. The change is done via nanomachines rather than magic and the person who goes into Equus is scouting and learning about pony society in a bid to open diplomatic relationships with Celestia/Luna. It's really well written and anypony who loves TF should check it out.

Then there's "The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments" Where Sweetie Belle ends up basically being a non-canon cameo for various fanfics (everything from Blueblood's Groundhog day story to Fallout: Equestria). It's surprisingly very good, and in some of the realities she visits Changelings are actual "Fae-touched" like in mythology/modern gaming folk lore rather than love sucking boogeymen...

Edited by shiron222

shiron222    106
20 hours ago, Starlight Glimmer <Trixie> said:

What's wrong with posting the names as long as you mark them NSFW? Whether or not we choose to look at them is on us :). I will personally admit I enjoy clop from time to time, though I understand that it can make other people uncomfortable. Either way I can understand if you don't want to, but on a personal level I'm curious as to what they're about. The worst thing that happens is we don't like them.

Tavia Melody    70

Fair enough, but on a generally sfw forum, I don't feel like linking to nsfw stuff should really happen. If a staff member says it's ok I might post some links, but I won't otherwise.

• Like 1

Col.Dew    10

A few good ones i like or love

Five Score Divided by Four - Fimfiction

Ponies on earth through transformation and a spell I don't want to say too much as it is my favorite (I think i love a few fics) fic out there and don't want to spoil it, both NSFW and SFW versions available can't recomend this story enough

Diaries of a Madman - Fimfiction

A Human is brought to Equestria by a vastly more intelligent and powerful Discord than in the show, it is super long full of great action, humor, and suspense all NSFW is marked and skippable though some of the plot points center around these NSFW sections, also has minor gore. Easily one of my top fics and tied with Five Score, and The Monster Below

The Monster Below - Fimfiction (and it's sequel i forgot the sequel's name but if you like TMB you'll love the sequel)

completely SFW (except minor gore though the gore is small and over quick)  Basically an earth pony is born in Saddle Lanka a pure unicorn village the village has been purely unicorn for about 600 years with no foal being born a pegasus or earth pony in short Silver Tounge is bullied because of this and finds solace in the princesses as they represent unity and peace and so he wants to go out into the world to become an alicorn after hearing of Twilight's ascension. It is at times soul crushingly tense and incredibly funny and is a great read. My gosh if you skipped all the other titles please check this one out.

Fallout Equestria and Fallout Equestra Project Horizons - Fimfiction 

If you like the fallout universe and you like dynamic characters and a good read check these out I loved them though there is a downside of sometimes dragging on in boring sections.

Most stories from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kj56IEmCeHczi8lB1LWsuWlbvkWl3C_kIadH08TS1tE/edit?pli=1

Not really a story but a collection of them. SFW and NSFW works about transformation and ponies written by the lovely people of 4chan a story has nsfw tags if it contains such, also has access to SFW and unrated image dump for pony transformation as well as discord, and a chatroom. I would reccomend the short story "My Dear Brielle" however the author made it private for some reason, you might request permission from the author through google however.

Your Human and You - Fimfiction

A well written piece about an Earth human is transported to Equestria where humans are essential mute animals of burden and pets. This human retains all of his memories and knowledge however cannot speak or write. He ends up in twilights care and she eventually learns of his intelligence and comedy, romance, and subterfuge follow. Contains fights and bits of gore that may unnerve some. I am unsure if the story contains NSFW or not as I have read to about chapter 50 and there is none yet it has been tagged as mature with gore and sex on Fimfiction. procede with caution after chapter 50 i guess. Or ask the author.

The Secret Life of Rarity (trilogy? quadlogy? I'm unsure if Ripples is a successor or precursor in the series) - Fimfiction

NSFW for Gore, this story is about Rarity being a murderer with an emphasis on torture and gore. NOT for the faint of heart or those of low constitution the storyline is fairly good picking up mostly in the two sequels "The Public Life of Sweetiebelle" and "Broken Blossom". Good for a scare late at night if you are into the horror/gore genre though.

The Empty Room - Fimfiction (same author as The Secret life of Rarity, this however is more light hearted in many ways)

My first *favorite* story of the Brony community and on occasion I give it a reread I won't spoil any of it other than read it if you like adventure, action, and lots of odd character groupings all SFW although there is a death or two.

BronyWriter - Fimfiction

The author of "The Secret Life of Rarity" and "The Empty Room" Seriously this guy writes a lot of good stuff and reads a lot of good stuff, more than I can list here reasonably. Check his account page for works he wrote and have read. Alot of them are top quality.

Funny, Serious, Adventure, Action, Mystery, NSFW, and SFW I swear you'll find something you'll like from him or you can forever call me a Liar.

Shipping and Handling - Fimfiction

Derpy Hooves loses her job as a pony shipping goods, and looks for a job as a shipper, however she doesn't know that shipping has two meanings hilarity, romance, and shenanigans ensue SFW and extremely recomended. Even has a theme song on Youtube with the same name, beware the song contains very slight spoilers.

More may be added soon

Edited by Col.Dew
  • Like 1

Lucario2012    1

I need to recommend The Best Night Ever, especially since it was mentioned above.

Essentially, Blueblood gets Groundhog Day'd through the Gala again and again. Also, the Sweetie Chronicles' crossover with this and its sequel is canon to both stories, though if you plan to read the sequel it's very, very different. This story is a quick comedy, the sequel, This Platinum Crown, is a gigantic political thriller with some comedy bits thrown in. Still a great story, just very different.